Planning to build on the river? Start the building permit process now.

Posted on 6/12/2017 by SuperUser Account

Let Midwest Foundation guide you through the necessary steps.

If you're planning to build, excavate or place fill in any waters of the United States, including rivers or wetlands, you must first obtain a building permit from the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE). Application forms, instructions and other assistance will be provided by USACE personnel upon request or via their website:

U.S. Army Corps of Engineers

Long before any marine construction begins, you must first obtain a building permit from the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.

Regulatory state and local governments should also be contacted for required authorizations. The key is to apply for all building permits at the same time, and as early in the planning process as possible. This allows for revisions or other measures necessary to meet agency requirements to be made before project construction plans are finalized.

It can all be fairly daunting as there are a number of steps to follow with the building permit application process. If you're new to it all, or simply want to assure that the marine construction work you plan on doing will meet the necessary guidelines, it's best to work with a company that's experienced not just in helping clients gain their necessary permits, but that also excels in the actual work itself.

Midwest Foundation has successfully completed over $750 million in marine-related projects, working in sync with state transportation departments, the Army Corps of Engineers and various private companies. We know the process and we know how to assure that your project stays in compliance with all regulations at the national, state and local level.

Proper planning is key. If your strategic plan incorporates improvements or additions to your river terminal, the time to act is now. Sometimes, the approval process can take one to two years before construction even begins. You need to factor in one to two months of design time to develop your plans, six months to as much as a year-and-a-half to obtain all the necessary permits and then four to eight weeks to order materials to get the job started.

It's a long time frame that takes planning and preparation. Keep in mind that it is against Federal law for work to begin before obtaining required permits and that both the property owner and contractor may be held liable for a violation that could include:

  • Removal of work and restoration of area at the violator’s expense.
  • A fine, up to $50,000 per day, for each violation.
  • Up to two years in prison.
  • Notice of violation on property title.
  • Mitigation for temporal impacts

Don't leave the permit process to chance. Consult the experts at Midwest Foundation. Remember, there's no time like the present to get things going!

Midwest Foundation provides a wide range of turnkey marine construction, design and specialty service on, over and under the water. As part of the Byrne & Jones Companies, we're proud to be a trusted advisor to the clients we serve, working on their behalf to offer the best solutions for all of their marine-related challenges - and doing it safely every step of the way. For more information, visit